Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

To those that attended Snofari...

6K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  landj 
#1 ·
Thanks to all who came out and supported SoFo.:woot:

Did you have fun?
Do you want to see more events like this?
Do you want to keep using these state trails?

Then, become a full time member of Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association. (GLFWDA)

Next, you all saw what a small group of 6 or so members were able to accomplish with the help of some other volunteers. If you want to see it continue, consider joining SoFo. If you're not into a club scene, consider volunteering some of your time. Organizers, trail leaders, sweeps, etc are always needed. There were 100 vehicles this year divided by 9 trail leaders. Smaller groups make for faster travel and more ground covered.

Finally, THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE SPONSORS, SOFO AND THE QUALITY INN! You guys rock.:rock:

See you next year,
Jim

#8 · (Edited)
I had a blast even though you got a little lost :)
I do want to see more like this and am willing to help with those too.
I am planing on using the trails, I will be a GLFWDA member very soon, I want to be a life member from the go but I think inner air locks need to come first so I can use the trails :) I wanted to make the meeting to get a better idea of how they work but mikes morning run lasted till 6pm and we missed it.

#28 ·
There were a couple of guys who sat at our table at the banquet who I later seen in the barfari room talking to jarhead about joining. Hope they did, seemed like it was a pretty good GLFWDA weekend as well.

I was bummed we didn't make it back in time for the meeting friday from our day run.

#38 ·
Bushwacker is a great sponsor for SnoFari!

I'm sure you can contact Bob and he can give you an idea of how, and where that donation will be needed.

Or show up to the next quarterly meeting. I hope to be there, we have a donation to make and we like to do it at the quarterly meeting.

But most importantly, the strength comes in numbers.
SoFO believes in GLFWDA, and for good reason! The evidence is there, even within the last couple years.
Now, we have some great challenges ahead of us, we CANNOT afford any more closures around St. Helen/West Branch. Or, our days of SnoFari and SnoBlind and whatever other "non" event wheeling will come to an end.
And that's closer to happening then what most people think.

#42 ·
Usually durring the summer there is a fire there where the mattress was, but usualy its just wood i find there, I saw a few of the cans on the trees but usually it was last minute as we where moving at a good pace. It seems that every night there are groups that drive the trails drinking and tossing there cans out so they dont get caught with open containers in the car. that area has gotten better over the years but its still a mess every now and then. usually i pick up what I see but it sisnt feel like the time to be doing that.

that area as a whole has gotten a lot cleaner, I dont know who exactly has been responsibel or if it has just been the people using it have gotten better and picked up after others but I thank all those who help.

#44 ·
I don't really want to turn this into a trail clean up thread. If you have any interest in helping with SoFO's annual trail maintenance's please feel free to contact me, or any of the other members. Our maintenance is not a clean up, we don't touch trash. We record the locations and submit them to the DNR.

The clean up of the Motorsports area has been spearheaded by Brewmann the last few years. I'm not sure who has been taking care of it recently, maybe the SwampStompers? It's just a friendly gesture to give back.

As far as partying in the MSA, yeah it's been happening for a LOOOOONG time. We run people out of there all the time. They leave RAGING bon fires, burning whatever they can find.

#60 ·
The clean up of the Motorsports area has been spearheaded by Brewmann the last few years. I'm not sure who has been taking care of it recently, maybe the SwampStompers? It's just a friendly gesture to give back.
Yes, but we didn't make it out there last year due to scheduling problems, and I don't know if anything is happening this year either.

Edit: I didn't notice that this was a year old thread, but my comments still apply.

#52 ·
Please send letters.

Posted by Jarhead this afternoon on glfwda.org:

Dear (Insert Name of Chamber of Commerce),

I am writing today to tell of the wonderful hospitality my family and I recently experienced while attending an OHV Off-Road Event entitled Sno-Fari that was held in the St. Helen, Rose City and West Branch OHV Trail and Route system. We spent about $250 on lodging, $150 on fuel and about $430 on food at Restaurants and the Grocery store. People were friendly everywhere we went and look forward to returning again next year.

While there was little snow, we still came and enjoyed what your area has to offer. We understand this event has been put on for six years now. We also understand there were some problems in getting the permission necessary to utilize all of the OHV Trail and Route system available in your area. The Michigan Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) eliminated a portion of requested Trails/Routes last year and some additional Trails/Routes this year. Our enjoyment is experienced at a pace of 6-8 miles per hour and we exercise Tread Lightly! Principles everywhere we travel off-road to preserve our natural resources for many, many generations.

Our fear is that if the last two years are any indication of the loss of Trails/Routes; how many years before my family and I can no longer come to your area and enjoy what the OHV Trail and Route system has to offer. We enjoy the system and we enjoy the hospitality your area affords us. We are asking you to please contact your State Representative and anyone else that can work with you and/or Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association to ensure we can return year after year and help your community in what can be troubling times with the economy being what it is.

Help us to help you help your community.

Sincerely,

(Yours Truly)

He even posted samples in both Word and PDF format, http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?12110-Dear-Chamber-of-Commerce&p=64950&viewfull=1#post64950
There will be additional addresses to send your letters to. Stay tuned for El Presadante Devore to post the 'sample' letter and a complete list of who to send them to. The letters can all be the same. We just want you to send them to a multiple number of people in order to get the most bang for our buck.

One thing to remember too, City governments carry equally as much weight if not more when it comes to looking out for their respective communities. As such we should add the City govrnments of Rose City, West Branch, and St. Helen to the list.
And while we're at it, the recently elected State Representative for that district #103, Bruce Rendon. He succedded Joel Sheltron who was also a strong ORV advocate who got the P.A. 240 Act passed which allowed ORV on the shoulders of the roads.

State Representative Bruce Rendon
District #103
S-1387 House Office Building
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, Michigan 48909
BruceRendon@house.mi.gov

Michigan State Senator Darwin Booher
35th District PO Box 30036
Lansing MI 48909 (517) 373-1725

Rose City Mayor Dave Reasnor
City Hall
P.O. Box 279
Rose City, Michigan 48654

West Branch City Council
121 North Forth Street
West Branch, Michigan 48661-1217
E-Mail: cityhall@westbranch.com

St. Helen (Unincorporated Community Governed by Township)
Richfield Twp Office
1410 N Saint Helen Rd
P.O. Box 128
Saint Helen, MI 48656-7506

#57 ·
I have been going to the Snofari sence I bought my first Jeep and I figured I would check it out !! My JK was brand new and basically stock , 3 years Ive been going now and this was the biggest year yet !! I know there are ALLOT of unsung hero's that make that event happen !! But you have to admit that the Standing Ovation for Leah was awesome and well deserved :thumb: !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.