Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Where did you get your trailer?

5K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  kkodet 
#1 ·
It is that time, I need to get a trailer for my jeep.

Ideally I don't need anything super overkill, but I want a nice solid trailer that will last year after year.

I would probably be fine with any sort of 16 ft car hauler.

I would also prefer electric brakes.

Where did you get it?
What did you pay?
Would you purchase from them again?
What do you like dislike?

goosenecks, enclosed and multi jeep haulers need not apply (except of course if you know where a good deal can be had on a standard car hauler)

Pics are always fun

Thanks,

Chad

#6 ·
found mine on craigslist

make sure you get dexter axles

buy one with lighting problems. Almost all owners don't know shit about electrical... price drops a few hundred bucks and lighting kits are $40...

#7 ·
I got mine from my dad who got it from my uncle as a storage fee for keeping it and his new trailer at our house. It cost me my old 4x8 trailer in trade then I had to put brakes on it.

Talk to matt(halfgassed) I think he picked his up pretty cheap- brakes on both axles, removable fenders and tiltbed.

or try grabbing one of those auto and rv traders if I recall there were always pretty good deals on trailers in there

#11 ·
Bought mine from Forbes Trailer, in waterford. 16ft (14ft wood deck with 2ft steel beavertail.) Brakes on both axles (required by law to actually put anything on your trailer), all wiring is inside an enclosed junction box, breakaway system, slide-in ramps, new radial tires, ez-lube splindles, etc. The details are where you pay now or pay later. Was ~$2400 out the door.

I used to have a 14ft $1600 from antique auto, those are complete garbage. Had to reweld half the thing over the first year.

Very nice people, knowledgeable about what they were doing. Wouldn't let me leave the lot until we checked every function on the trailer, they even replaced the flashers in my truck with HD versions for no charge to speed up the blinkers.

#14 ·
#18 ·
Didn't you have crappy mobile home axles?

I'm rather happy with a brand new trailer, since damn near every used one I've seen really should get several hundred bucks in repair.

I didn't pay a single penny, in all honestly. My dad bought it for my use, under the pretense of using it to haul his Kubota's around.

#20 ·
Didn't you have crappy mobile home axles?
I've had mobile home axles in the past, but the trailer I have now has 5,000lb dexters

I still may, I want to see whats out there first.
I was just looking at yours, what did you do with the original fender ont hepass side?
that fender might be behind the garage, but probably was scrapped. The trailer is 90% sold at this point...

#13 ·
becks marine

I bought my BIG TEX trailer from Becks marine in St. Johns right on 127. The thing tows great. I really like the set up for the ramps. They are solid diamond plate not the angle iron kind and they slide straight out of the back of the trailer and stop. No more lifting ramps or storing them from the sides(pain in the ass in parking lots ect.) Had it about 4 or 5 years now with no problems at all. I want to say it was around $3000.

#16 · (Edited)
Got the most recent trailer from Johns Trailers in Toledo, found their add in the free Auto swapper and they had the best price out of everybody I shopped. All of the other enclosed trailers I've owned have come from Becks in St. Johns, they have gotten a big head now that they build their own. (Legend) My flatbed came from USA trailer sales in Edmore, really good prices and service.

Pic is of my current enclosed from Johns Trailers, give them a call they sell flatbeds!

Attachments

#22 ·
Make sure that you buy one with at least 7000 pound GVW. You can get a jeep on a 16 ft trailer with no problem. 18 ft allows you to carry some extra junk like spare tire, tub of firewood, put a toolbox on the front, etc. IMO a 20 ft'r just adds length that you don't need. (unless you want to build a big ass toolbox up there)

#27 ·
Yeah I figure with 16 ft I am good for the jeep, I have a truck so any extras can go in there. 20 ft seems like too much extra length for no good reason.

Looking very possible that your old trailer may find its way to my house.
I myself would like to sell my 18' for a 20' to haul my quad too.

D&R Trailer in Milan, 23 and Plank Road, 18 ft, $2450 ready to go. Steel frame, wooden deck. I’ve bought a couple trailers from them. I’d go back.

I like the trailer. Would love have one in aluminum bought that’s some serious $.

When trailer shopping (new trailers on the lots) make sure the trailer has the tires and wheels you want. I found many dealers had absolutely cheap ass tires on the trailer and good tires were an option. Could add $400-$500 to the price.

Need (should have, suggest, good idea, law?) 4 wheel brakes. Another way for a trailer to look like a better deal is it only has brakes on one axle. Need both.

I have bought a few quad trailers from them and they good to me. In Michigan for the weight it is law that you have 2 axle brakes.

#25 ·
I got an 18+2 that I mounted a tool box on the front. Have had my Jeep and a couple of quads on. In a pinch if something happens to my tow rig (2000 Super cab long box super duty) it will fit. Just have to find a truck to haul it.:sonicjay:

#26 ·
D&R Trailer in Milan, 23 and Plank Road, 18 ft, $2450 ready to go. Steel frame, wooden deck. I’ve bought a couple trailers from them. I’d go back.

I like the trailer. Would love have one in aluminum bought that’s some serious $.

When trailer shopping (new trailers on the lots) make sure the trailer has the tires and wheels you want. I found many dealers had absolutely cheap ass tires on the trailer and good tires were an option. Could add $400-$500 to the price.

Need (should have, suggest, good idea, law?) 4 wheel brakes. Another way for a trailer to look like a better deal is it only has brakes on one axle. Need both.

#30 ·
Criagslist. The guy wanted to downsize since he didn't pull his bobcat around any more.

16" with toolbox welded on the tounge. A hitch reciever welded on the deck and a winch to hook into it. Also welded stops on the front just incase his wife decided to run off the front of trailer :tonka:

$1,200 for it.

I looked for a long time to find one. I was going to go with a new one because I couldn't find anything right for the price when this one came up. The only thing that I'll do to it this spring is probably new tires and some fany lights :woot:

#35 · (Edited)
I bought a 18' SureTrac from Kelly and Son's Trailer, 12620 N. Telegraph,Carleton, MI 48117,Fax: 734-783-0559, phone:734-783-6464 . It's a 7000# all tube construction, full diamond plate, w/ a 4' dove tail, and brakes on both axles. I just got it last November, so I haven't used it yet. I've herd nothing but good stuff about these trailers, and it's made very well. I can't wait to use it. Oh, I paid about $2600 for it.

#36 ·
Lotsa people are ditching trailers cheap that don't meet the new codes. You can update one if you like, otherwise, law in Michigan as of October 2005 is that any trailer with a GVWR OVER 1,500 lbs MUST have brakes at every wheel. And there is no grandfather clause on this. The actual law was passed back in the 90s, with Oct 2005 being the deadline for compliance.

Strangely enough, compression brakes (like on a uhaul) are still allowed.

#38 ·
I know of two people I work with. One was on a lawn equipment trailer and the other was a boat trailer. The guy with the lawn trailer got a fix it ticket and just decided to scrap the trailer. The guy with the boat trailer updated it.

Thing is, they have to pull you over for something else first. They have to have reasonable cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.