Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

WhiteRhino's Latest Mods

Tags
meballs
317K views 2K replies 189 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 ·
Sometime late last summer I was talking to Jim about modding his jeep and it snowballed and somehow I got in the middle of it. before I knew what was going on I agreed to build his jeep over again pretty much. The goal was lots of strength and a nice cushy ride while providing clearance for 40's in the future.

The entire build/arguing/problem solving thread is here: http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8991&start=0

it will be completely finished and wheelable in the next couple weeks.
here are a few pictures of the build:

Attachments

See less See more
#564 ·
The guy from Hi-9 told me that when Yukon was designing the Grizzly they contacted Hi-9 and asked them what they didn't like about the Detroit and made some design changes because of it. In addition, he tells me that Grizzly is much better about tech support and replacement parts.

If I do an ARB, I may go with a Co2 air supply rather than a compressor. I've talked with guys who have run off of their Co2 tank and have used paintball canisters as backup. On the other hand, I like the idea of the Grizzly.

#567 ·
Grizzly is a great choice. no lines to mess up or break. we even have it in our 750 Hp street JK. Zip locker would be my next choice if i wanted a selectable locker. I have Grizzly's and have broken 6 or 10:sonicjay: stock shafts without a locker failure. yukon has a great warranty too. Dale can hook you up.

#568 ·
Whats a Zip Locker? I had ARBs for a while and never had a problem. I won KOH with them too. Either way a selectable locker is what I really meant. Bill did ARBs make you puke or too much Liquor? I have only seen one of the two make you puker before.

#570 ·
Jeep is now tucked away in storage until ready for the body swap. Donor jeep is home. The tub is super clean.

Teardown has begun. Hoping to have the tub pulled this weekend. The floor has surface rust under the front floor mats and there is one spot under the tailgate that needs repair. Then it gets durabak liner in the interior.

#592 ·
:(:(:(

Where was your POS while I was at KOH this year?:poke::sonicjay::sonicjay:

I have been needing to do this for 2 or 3 years but have kept putting it off to keep wheeling. I finally said enough is enough. I don't have any wheeling trips planned for the next couple months so all is good.

Plus, I can always take the Rhino if need be.:thumb:

#599 ·
OK, I've been putzing with stuff but no pics yet. About half the body mounts are repaired & I started modding the frame for an upper link bolt that was trapped after the Atlas was installed. The old body is cut up and scrapped out. We decided we are going to do a color change and do it right. So the donor body will be stripped and blasted prior to new paint. I got most of the body stripped tonight & have a few more misc items to pull off it. Then I'll cut out the new wheel wells and the fuel pump access. Then strip the donor grill, tailgate & hood and off those items go to blast. I'm going buy a new windshield frame since it's been fubarred since before my windshield hoop.

While at KOH I scored a good deal on a new set of PRP folding seats which will be tied into the cage. New Genright tube fenders have been ordered. Also bought the remaining needed Currie johnny joints to replace the rear upper links. A new Grizzly comp locker will go in the rear to replace the spool and new Yukon lockouts for the front. This should make it more streetable for the mandatory trips to DQ. The drive flanges will be kept as spares if I break a lockout. Many thanks to Dale at Ironman for parts & pieces. :thumb:

#601 ·
OK, I've been putzing with stuff but no pics yet. About half the body mounts are repaired & I started modding the frame for an upper link bolt that was trapped after the Atlas was installed. The old body is cut up and scrapped out. We decided we are going to do a color change and do it right. So the donor body will be stripped and blasted prior to new paint. I got most of the body stripped tonight & have a few more misc items to pull off it. Then I'll cut out the new wheel wells and the fuel pump access. Then strip the donor grill, tailgate & hood and off those items go to blast. I'm going buy a new windshield frame since it's been fubarred since before my windshield hoop.

While at KOH I scored a good deal on a new set of PRP folding seats which will be tied into the cage. New Genright tube fenders have been ordered. Also bought the remaining needed Currie johnny joints to replace the rear upper links. A new Grizzly comp locker will go in the rear to replace the spool and new Yukon lockouts for the front. This should make it more streetable for the mandatory trips to DQ. The drive flanges will be kept as spares if I break a lockout. Many thanks to Dale at Ironman for parts & pieces. :thumb:
Sounds like a screen name change is in order... pinkrhino :sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay:

#600 ·
so your making it really pretty? you wheeled like a wimp before.:poke:i can only imagine now.i can hear tab.come on grampa stop trimming branches in the trail,one scratch wont hurt you.:teehee:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.