Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

?06 TrailBlazer SS?

2K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  c0ncEpT 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about buying one. What do you guys think of them? Any major problems?

Thx.

#7 ·
yea thats what i meant.lol. The base came with selectable. I got confused. I would go with the 2wd in my opinion though. Much more fun unless you like tight corners and traction its also probably a little but faster due to no t-case..

#9 ·
my buddie that has one is always complaining about the trim on the rear doors on his, and how much matinence the gm white paint is. but its fast! with the 4.10 gears it puts you back in the seat way harder off the line than the new camaro ss i drove with an auto. but once your rolling the camaro would lay waste to it. which it should.

#11 ·
I had a somewhat detailed conversation about these with my buddy Jason, who is a Tech at Al Serra. He said that mechanically, they were a good improvement over the Trailblazer drivetrain and that they don't see them coming back for the same issues that the lower models do.

You can PM him if you like, but he doesn't post much and I don't know how often he even looks at the board anymore after having sold his TJ. His user name is "Racinja". 95geo here on GL owns one, also.

#16 ·
I will bitch about the interior trim, mainly the drivers side rear door inner handle bezel. the day I brought the truck home from the dealer the handle bezel dropped off onto the floor, had it replaced at the dealer and I think I opened that door maybe 20 times in the last year and a half and people have been back there maybe 2 times. A couple months ago the handle dropped back onto the floor. I'm not sure what's up with it but it's irritating having an 08 with 30k miles on it literally falling apart for no reason.

The rest of the truck is great and as soon as I'm done paying for it, it'll be a low 11 second DD. Stone stock with the stock exhaust resonator removed, cold air intake, ECM and TCM tune by vector motorsports it ran a 13.48@103 in 50 degree weather. it's a 2wd and lowered 2"

I really enjoy owning it but if you get a 2wd dont even think of driving it in the winter, it's the worst vehicle I have ever driven in the winter.

#19 ·
Ever thought about a srt8 instead? We have one at home and love it. No problems w/ it thus far (08 w/ 30k). Stock still and i hate that you cant tow anything w/ it but that's not really the reason we got it for either and i dont think i would like towing w/ an ss anyways. That being said i know ppl do tow w/ them all the time. Ours is really solid and haven't had any issues w/ it but i dont know what the consensus is about them on this site so. I do know that ours is faster than a ss stock too.

#23 ·
either autotrader is being uncooperative, or I'm missing something...

I found exactly one used SRT8, an '07 model within 100 miles of 48430 - asking $30k

I found 7 trailblazer SS's within 25 miles. Lowest asking was $19k for an '06 2wd, with most showing up in the low 20's for AWD.

while I agree the SRT8 is a horse, I had the impression that they were pricier MSRP new as well than the Chebbys?

#24 ·
yea typically i think the ss is way easier to find (which was one appeal for us to get a srt8) and cheaper. It took us about 5 mo to find the one we like and it ended up being at thelen in bay city but there aren't many for sale in michigan. Chicago has a highly saturated market for srt8s though

#27 ·
i have a base model envoy with a 4.2L i6. i have had tons of problems with it. love the engine. the rest of it is garbage. transfer case control module went out at 40k. blower motor resistor pack at 40k. needed rotors front and rear at 35k. front wheel bearings at 45k. front bumper cover is very loose. stereo only plays on the right channel. all stupid little stuff, but very annoying.

it does get about 21 to 22 mpg on the freeway. tows pretty well. turns on a dime. lots of room inside. builds most of its power quite hi in the rpm range, but has ample power.

im sure the ss is better, but still has alot of the same plastic junk inside. good luck

#28 ·
Trailblazer SS' are badass! Whats most appealing to me is the fact that you can pile all your friends into your 12 second grocery getter with a few bolt on's. I have always loved them from the day they came out. I have toyed with the idea of selling my LS1 Trans Am for one but it's just never been in my budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.