Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

misfire on 2 4 6 and 8???????need help

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  buttercr125 
#1 ·
need help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a 99 chevy silverado 1500 with a 5.3L and i am getting a misfire on cylinders 2 4 6 and 8 its one hole bank and i have no idea whats going on with? i just dont want to have to keep money into it and not have it fix it if someone can point me in the right direction would be great or if this has happed to someone elce and could tell me how to fix the problem or what the problem is.i also was tld it could be the catalytic converter on that side??????

#6 ·
Have seen upstream o2 sensors fail and read lean. So the ecm will dump a bunch of fuel in that bank. Usually you will see black smoke out of the tail pipe, and you can smell the gas. It may not set a code. If you have a scan tool you can look at the o2 voltage and see if its switching from around 200-800mv. But you need a good scantool not a code reader. Good luck.

#7 ·
Not sure on the chevys but i worked on a jeep liberty and it had a shorted o2 sensor and it caused one whole bank to misfire or is could very well be a coil issuse on that side try swapping coil packs from one side to the other i think they r the same on both banks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.