Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Just Empty Every Pocket - The Project - IT LIVES!!

48K views 311 replies 50 participants last post by  TVJunkie 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are a few shots of my current project. It's a 86 XJ that came stock with 2.8 that was busted and a missing trans when I acquired it.

As it currently sits, it now has newer 4.0 XJ springs in the front. I have the small block mounted along with the 700R4 and 207 t-case. The t-case linkage is now finished and works great. Need to do the shift linkage to finish off the trans. I'm waiting on money so I can get the radiator and a boatload of small crap to wrap this up.

Here it is in all it's glory.

See less See more
#180 ·
Lets see, waiting for the shaft kit from Advance for the turbo 350. Then the trans is getting rebuilt along with the new output shaft.

Torque converter. A bump over stock will be fine.

Get the SYE kit for the 231 I picked up and get it ready.

Lift.

New rear driveshaft to work with the new SYE t-case.

I've been fighting the temp gauge sender so I'm going to make the trans temp gauge do double duty. I have a extra sender for the gauge that I'll put a SPDT switch on it so I can flip between trans temp and coolant temp.

The speedo I have a few questions in to a couple places so I can have a working and accurate speedo. The stock is mechanical and I'll be abandoning it for electronic. Just need to sort out a couple things.

It may see the road yet this year. It already runs very nice and does move but not well. Loose ends and more crap to do. It's been a cheap project until now. I probably have $1500 in it but I'll spend that again doing everything now to finish it and be a dependable rig.

Oh well, it's only money.

#185 ·
No progress. I'm waiting on the guy rebuilding my trans then it's saving for the SS SYE kit then save for the lift.

Here is the latest gathering of parts. A new converter, kickdown cable with bracket, adapter kit to go from the turbo 350 to the S-10 231 and a shiny dipstick and tube for the trans.

The 231.

The speedo issue is solved, for the time being anyway. I forgot about the GPS I got from my brother a couple years ago. Tested it out and it'll work fine.

Hopefully spring this will see the road........

#186 ·
Picked up my trans up today. Actually I picked it up twice..........

We loaded it and he closed the tailgate. I didn't check if it latched. This comes into play later. I drive 25 miles to my shop to unload it but as I backed to the door I noticed I could see the garage door. Odd, the trans is not there and the tailgate is down. SHIT! I boogie down the separated 4 lane that is getting redone to find it. It's right where I figured it would be. Didn't even get hit by anything but the road. Get it back in the truck and head to the shop to access the damage. The new output shaft got a ding in the splines and the trans pan got killed. I pull the pan to hammer out the dents and find a tear in it. Scrap.

I wanted a aluminum pan with a drain plug anyway.

Cliffs; get new trans, dumbass forgets to check the tailgate and ends up picking said trans off the highway with a wasted pan.

Cool starry bra.

#190 ·
Well that was almost not a happy ending!
I wish I had some foresight on the trans issues you're had. I sent a s-10 blazer to the scrap yard with a 10k fresh rebuild with the 60 degree 700r4 a few years back.

#195 ·
Got my new B&M pan a couple weeks ago. Stock depth. I had a thought about gluing some kind of cheap lift together with parts I already have or need to get. Need to rework shocks and mounts so they still work with the screwing around but then I ran some numbers and figured out that I would be ahead just getting the lift I'm after instead of butchering something together to get me by. I will still need a SYE regardless of what happens. I still need to stare at the front a while to see if I can play with bumpstops so the upper arms won't crash into the exhaust.

So it still sits, waiting on money.

Cliffs: Random thoughts/brain dump.

#196 ·
Figured out a way to gain some clearance for the drivers downpipe. It will get friendly with the upper control arm. I have a new pair of BDS upper arms, stock length and will gain me the extra couple inches needed so things won't crash because of the tube design and how it attaches to the diff. I won't need to lift it then. Save some coin there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.