Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Responsible Dog Owners, step inside. Update 7/24

7K views 70 replies 33 participants last post by  cameron69 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been thinking about getting a dog for quite a while now. A guy at work has a two year old pup he has offered me. Gus is about 50 pounds and is basically a mut, he says he's a beagle mix. They have a young family with another one on the way and it's a little crowded in their two bedroom apartment. He seems well behaved and very friendly. I am single and live alone. I'm concerned about being at work 10 hours a day and leaving him at home. I don't have a fenced in back yard, so the pup would stay in the house during the day. We have tons of trails and some parks in our neighborhood that would give us both good exercise.

The most important thing for me is that I am able to make it a good fit for the pup. My main concern is about him being at the house alone all day. I know this can cause problems and want to get some opinions before I make the call. Also, my neighbors are close and it wouldnt be fair for them to have to listen to my dog bark all day.

So what do you all think?

#4 ·
10 hours is a long as day for any dog
^^ Both. My dog has some long days alone, but it makes it easier because my wife and I usually have different schedules so it isn't too bad on him. I'd agree with hancho on this one.

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
My dogs sleep most of the day so i make sure to spend time with them at night but then they go back to sleep in the evening and get upset when we go to bed late. My point, dogs sleep a lot. I was home today working for the first half of the day and guess what... They slept. They get out and are active as much as they need. They are both perfect weight too.
I'd leave them in the house because the amount of danger they encounter is less.

#8 ·
If he's going to be home all day by himself then no, it's not a good idea. But if you are close and can let him out and play for a bit then it does make the situation a little better. He is still a puppy and needs a lot of training. As for the barking, they make collars for that and they actually work quite well.

#9 ·
i work 10 hour days my dog is just fine. i believe dogs sleep about 16 hours a day. as long as you give him some exercise every day he'll be fine. my dog is a boxer and he stays inside while im at work, but im guess your dog is smaller so it will have to go outside more often so an outside kennel would be a great idea. i would ask them if he likes to bark / howl being that its part beagle that would be the only problem i could see

#13 ·
X2 on the Aussies being active all the time, when mine was younger we played ball for 20 minutes before I left for work. Its worth every bit of the extra effort if your honest about them being a part of the family and not just a pet.
I left him in a air conditioned house for 9 hrs on week days controlling his water intake and never had a problem or accident.

#15 ·
Really depends on the dog. As long as I knew his water dish was full when I left and I was able to feed him in the evening, I wouldn't think twice about leaving my dog at home for 10 hours. He is a lazy mother fucker though. Has been since he was a puppy.

#19 ·
My dog has had no problems when he was younger staying home by himself for 8-12 hours a day. He was anxious to go outside when we got home but never any accidents. Now that he is older my parents don't let him go any more than 8 hours without a potty break. He is a 13 year old 50 pound bearded collie.

#21 ·
I have two dogs, a 5yr old beagle min pin mix and a 18yr old english setter. They are both very active dogs but louis the setter is settling down with age.

I regularly leave them alone for 12-15 hr days without any problems. The only accidents they have had where when they are sick. They are happy too see me after a long day and ready to go out, but it doesnt seem to bother my dogs.

I rescued a kitten about 8 months ago and it plays with my dogs like they are best freinds. I think this helps to burn energy off when Im not around.

If I am not working my dogs are with me 24/7 to balence out the time I spend away. I take them almost everywhere I go and they are perfectly content waiting in the car while Im shopping.

I think it depends on the dog but I think it is doable especially if you can go home at lunch for the training stages.

#23 ·
My 5yr old 60# girl has no problem being in the house 12+ hours when I'm working overtime. As long as she gets play time and exercise regularly she seems content. She sleeps all day even if we're home and is generally more active in the evening.
I adopted a 1.5yr old male 2 months ago and while he hasn't had to experience regular long work hours yet he did fine being crated for a couple 10hr days. He definately needed some play time to burn off energy those days but I planned on spending time with them when I got home.

#24 ·
I agree that it depends on the dogs needs. If you can be home for lunch and spend some time with him that 10 hours is split in half and is not an issue for most dogs. both my dogs do great while we are at work, about 10 hours. My first wife and I got the girls and she worked from home, so they always had someone with them. After we divorced I was worried that they would be home too long alone, and I would end up having to give my first two dogs to the ex. But they did great, no accidents no damage done to furniture or anything else.

We get out and play when I get home if they want, sometimes they go out and do their business and head right back in and lay down. Sasha does not move around so good right now as she blind and has broken a bone in her paw. Tavish always wants to play so sometimes we just play fetch and tug o war in the living room while Sasha lays on the couch. They are both energetic, and love to run and play when we go to the park. My wife now drives for fed ex and delivers in the area we live, so she sometimes stops home to let the girls out during her route.

If you could build a kennel with a doggie door going into the house you would have no issues at all. I get nervous leaving my dogs outside for any extended length of time not being home. If they could come in and out at will, would be awesome!

#27 ·
Pumba is full grown and 60-65# depending on how much he eats out in the back yard that day. He is 10% cute and 90% evil genius. I like to let him know that he would easily fit on the grill but Mandie yells at me for threatening the pig. She loves him but he and I don't see eye to eye. I have been feeding him lots of fruit to try and sweeten him up in preparation for the day :)

2012-07-04_08-46-16_649 by nickb304, on Flickr

#28 ·
my dog sleeps all day long. all day....I don't feel bad leaving her at home for 10+ hours at a time. She also doesn't mind sitting outside in her kennel, sometimes she goes and sits in it with the door wide open while I'm out in the yard.....

walk the dog each day, spend a few minutes with the dog each day, and it will be a very happy camper. He won't care you need to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.