Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

I know a guy that got a gun

4K views 55 replies 36 participants last post by  IFS SUCKS 
#1 ·
? ? ? I want to know your thought on what this guy I know should do . . . .

He was given a .32 hand gun from his father that was his grandfathers at one time. You see this gun has never been registered to my buddy knowledge.
The question is: Should he leave this gun unregistered or get it registered? The worry is doesn't want to pay the taxes on it and/or risk loosing it some day if our gun rights are taken away.
What issues might arise if it's left unregistered?

He's new to all this and I'm not sure what to say.

#50 ·
x2.

lol. Just register the damn thing and stop being a jew. You're that paranoid that the government is going to write you a letter and demand that you surrender your pistols? :teehee:

Between you thinking the gov't is going to steal your weapon, and Topthrilljoe being afraid to buy anything online... it's amazing you two even leave your homes.

#54 ·
? ? ? I want to know your thought on what this guy I know should do . . . .

He was given a .32 hand gun from his father that was his grandfathers at one time. You see this gun has never been registered to my buddy knowledge.
The question is: Should he leave this gun unregistered or get it registered? The worry is doesn't want to pay the taxes on it and/or risk loosing it some day if our gun rights are taken away.
What issues might arise if it's left unregistered?

He's new to all this and I'm not sure what to say.
12. I found a pistol in an old house that I was fixing up. Can I get it registered in my name?

You should take it to your local police agency and they can check on the history of the pistol. They will, of course, check to make sure it is not stolen, and also for any previous registered owner. If the pistol was not previously registered, it is considered contraband, and cannot be registered to you. If there was a previous registered owner, attempts should be made to contact that person. If contact is made, the pistol will either be turned over to them, or they will sign off as seller on a License to Purchase issued to you. If attempts at making contact are futile, you can get a License to Purchase and the pistol can be released to you.

13. I inherited a pistol from my uncle. Do I just take it in to my local police agency to get a License to Purchase?

MCL 28.422 Unless you have a valid Concealed Pistol License issued after July 1, 2001, you must obtain a License to Purchase first. When the owner of a pistol is deceased, the statutes provide that the next of kin or personal representative of the estate has the authority to sign as seller. If you are the next of kin or personal representative, you may sign as seller indicating "Estate of …" and also as purchaser.
The highligted text sez yer fawked.....

#55 ·
My dad has a similar situation. My grandfather recently passed away. My dad found a .25 cal semi auto pistol at his house. It was given to my grandfather by Vito Jackaloni (sp?) for 'safe keeping', Vito was heavily involved in the mob and his son Tony married my grandfathers cousin. The gun had never been registered. My dad was worried about the gun being taken away also. I know he took it to the police, but I am not exactly sure what all was said. All I know is that he still has the gun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.