Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Project Yota Crawler

17K views 135 replies 21 participants last post by  Yotabalt 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I started project yota wheeler...got a great deal on it, 3.0 v6, 5 speed, 4x4. started tearing it down, pulled the bed, and got ready to cut the frame down and 3 link the rear. Searching hard for a 8" solid axle to swap in, I'll keep posting as project creeps along. Just bought my first clarke tubing bender today from summit for 85 bucks... Exoskeleton is in the workings...at some point.

#55 ·
I do not believe the six shooters come with the eliminator. Even if you dont do them invest in some good studs and then do the 5th stud mod...you can make the tabs for the 5th stud yourself (what I did) and its easy to set them up. I would worry less about the upper gusset and more about the ball gussets...those are cheap and to me there is a much greater chance of bending the housing there than there is bending it farther in.

#56 ·
If you want to go really low dollar, torque the knuckle studs the tack weld the steering arm to the knuckle in a few spots then just be sure to regularly check the tightness on the studs. Having the arm come loose really blows and will ruin your day in a hurry.

#61 ·
Constructive criticism-

I think your upper link mount on the rear axle needs a little more bracing. Especially since it's only a 3-link, that one mount will be taking the brunt of all the axle rotation. I'd look into expanding off each side. Maybe build a "mini" truss around it.

Also what welding technique were you using on the Coil bucket/CA mounts on the front axle? Almost looks like a "tack, tack, tack".

Truck is looking good though. :thumb:

#62 ·
Tha was a tack tack tack (stitch welding)cause It has to be ground down. Ballistic gives you 3 mounting widths for those buckets, I used the skinniest for the heim joints & misalignment spacers, that was flat butt joint with no gap, so I just stitched it up. The rest is welded nicely. A proper stitch weld is just as good as a bead, as long as they overlap (those were quick and not load bearing once welded to the axle) so I just tossed them on knowing their getting ground off anyway.And there is a gusset for the third link. Just waiting to actually finish the rear (lots of gussets, shock mounts, limiter straps, etc) it lays half way down the rear of the axle tube and the front has a curved gusset to clear articulation.

I don't wanna set anything in stone in case I need to modify height the front needs to sit on its weight before I can finish rear. Thanks for constructive criticizm you sometimes loose yourself when you get too deep into a project.

#65 ·
Well this is the latest, I was searching eBay, and I was thinking "hey a rear locker would be great..." so I searched and the bid was at 150 bucks, so I bid and was the high bidder...then 10 mins before auction was done, they ended it, so I emailed them and asked why, and the guy said "it's missing the outer halves and the cross pin, I relisted it for parts"

So the bid was for 10 bucks, knowing that a v6 diff has no outer halves and no cross pin,I messaged back saying that Id give him 20 bucks "buy it now"...then he counter offered me at 60 bucks shipped, couldnt deny the awesome deal, so I snagged it...

Got it today, happy for people who don't know what they are doing...

#73 ·
Just picked up some 38x15.50-15 swamper ssr's today... Pics don't do justice, they have a solid .50" inch tread depth on them, .65" was new so I couldn't pass up the deal...just need to mount them on some rims and get my trac bar on and springs in...gettin close!!

#78 ·
Yeah I'm expecting that...hoping the used tg dirty 30's will hold up...no idea how old or how beat up they are, and when I got the axle it was pretty beat up...so we will see...there may be a v8 in the workings, not sure if a 3.0 will spin those 38's...

#80 ·
I mounted 2 tires today...what a difference! The truck is absolutely massive...I love the stance and I ordered 2" spacers for the rear and I already have 2.5" spacers up front...
Best part is 4bangler came and bought my 2) 34x9.50x15's...which gave me the extra $ for my hi-steer and my front springs came in today...I was having a sh*t day at work and my :beer: weekend which left me stranded out on a back road with piperkd and another buddy and had to walk to get gas while completely hammered...so long story short, my weekend blew a$$ and today has started to get better...but it's fkn Monday, nothing good comes from a Monday.

Pics in a few I'm bored sitting at independance tire while theyr mounting my tires.:blah:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.