Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - hitch and brake controller question
View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:29 AM   #19
Jeeperz Creeperz
GL 4x4 Vendors

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via AIM to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via MSN to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via Yahoo to Jeeperz Creeperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
That kinda scares me. Long time reliable companies like Reese & Drawtite consider 2.5 to be the proper size for class V and a smaller company says we can handle the same loads with a 2". That means they are running with a lower safety factor.

So I end up saving a hundred bucks to haul my several thousand dollar trailer/ rig/ personal property? Not worth the risk in my book.

Is there an industry standard set up by the NHSTA? (or whatever it's called)
This is a bit old, but....

Hitches for towing are submitted to testing, you can't just build one willy-nilly (which is why aftermarket bumpers never have tow ratings on them).

Have you ever taken a close look at a pintle hook? They have a little pin that holds it closed.

Or a semi-trailer? Slightly larger version of a fifth-wheel.... Kinda scary to pull 40,000 pounds with that.....

Hitch ratings also depend on the vehicle they are installed on. A Class IV hitch on one vehicle may have a lower capacity than a Class IV hitch installed on another vehicle.

This "smaller company" was founded in the 1960's making hitchballs for the other "larger companies". In the 1980's they started making their own hitches, so it's not like their the "new kid".
Jeeperz Creeperz is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07193 seconds with 20 queries