Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Third member help needed
View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Dirtdug
GreaseBall Extrordinar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Third member help needed

Im having a blast building up a little tracker this winter. She is sitting on 31" monster mudders with an automatic and stock 4.30 ratio third members. Thanks from the advice and assistance from a site member I have found a pair of front and rear 5.12 thirds. I will be on my way to the other side of the state today to retrieve them. I had been asking questions trying to learn more about possibly welding or if available lockers etc seeking the best trail traction but also allowing a safe trail rig to be occasionally driven on the road without any unsafe tendencies. Turns out the rear third is already welded on these units so I will be learning first hand its effect as soon as I mount them up. The member I am getting these from thinks that the gears could be freed from the welds that hold them now if I wished to return these to the stock limited slip.
Now some other questions;

If I wanted to try a locker like the one offered by Rocky Road, what of the third member components will I need to re-use?

Also another thing I have been wondering, I know that this welded rear is going to give me some annoying hop and torque of my rear tires on sharp turns on the pavement, since not a DD I think I can live with that, but what would be the negative effects of welding the front gears, and simply dis-engaging the front hubs when I want to drive it to the trails just down the road a short distance. I am fortunate living where I do; I have a ton of decent trails right beside me so this is a very real scenario. This must have some obvious negatives to the more experienced 4x4 Wheelers since I have not come across anyone talking about doing this, but I can't see what those negatives might be. Before I do something I might regreat I thought I might bounce it off all of you guys, anybody done this?
Suggestions welcome!
Doug
Dirtdug is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07837 seconds with 20 queries