View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #51
phittie1100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I think you need to be careful in relying on advertisements to determine what is and is not a legal wheeling opportunity. Not to pick on Jeep, but many of their ads depict professional drivers splashing through streams, slinging mud, etc. under controlled or "closed road" stuations. The picture in the Boondocker does not show illegal wheeling - it shows two Jeeps parked on what looks like Shale Beach. No date is given (and we all know law enforcement practices on DI have changed from time to time), no circumstances are explained, and frankly I don't think it should be. I'm not saying don't question this picture in our publication, or another pitcure in a different publication. But please don't jump to the conclusion that a picture depicts an illegal act without knowing the facts and circumstances.

Like Trail Fanatic, I am also a recently trained Tread Lightly! Tread Trainer, and I am also part of the group responsible for reviewing the content of the Boondocker before it is released. I didn't see then, and I don't see now, any reason that picture should have been removed. The fact that someone has questioned it means we will need to verify with Offroad Ventures that the picture was taken under appropriate circumstances, and if not we will take corrective actions.

The folks at Car and Driver should have turned their legal team loose on MI ORV laws before they hired a guide and sent a bunch of SUV's to DI to get dirty. I've wheeled some of those trails without being part of a permited event, and passed smiling, waving DNR COs along the trails that are now effectively closed to full-size vehicles until we can get the trails remarked as routes. It's not only that the laws are sometimes confusing, it is made worse by the fact that different districts and different CO's choose to enforce some things at some times in some places and not in others.

And Bones you may not rent ad space in the Boondocker with pictures depicting naked womend illegally wheeling - but if you need a cameraman for the event I am sure we can get some volunteers together!

Page generated in 0.04861 seconds with 11 queries