Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Duramax Chevy or Cummins Dodge?
View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2008, 10:24 PM   #98
KartRacer
Blowd up

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to KartRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
Brian, I'm not going to talk you into a gas motor and out a diesel. But towing with a 5.7L compared to a 6.0L Chevy is a night and day difference. I tow a 30 camper that weights roughly 7800lbs, with a '99 Suburban 5.7L and 3.73 gears and it struggles. My Suburban was in the shop for a new fuel pump so borrowed a buddies 2000 Chevy w/6.0L and 4.10 gears. The 6.0L towed like the camper wasn't even behind it. Both sucked fuel tho' towing.

I'd still get a diesel if I was you...just wante to bring up that point about the two Chevy engines.
On this same note, going from a 6.0 Suburban to towing the same load with '90 Cummins truck was night and day.

If you are wanting an auto, I would say Chevrolet, Dodge otherwise.

Another note, I saw something mentioned earlier about idling. Cummins recommends not idling their engines more than five minutes I believe. It has something to do with the mass of the head. The temperature difference between the block and the head stresses the headgaskets or something.
KartRacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05923 seconds with 20 queries