Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Duramax Chevy or Cummins Dodge?
View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #56
Haggar
Covered in mud...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimy311 View Post
On every trip I have been on with my 98' Chevy, I have been very frustrated with it's towing. On our last trip, I had a hard time keeping up with the pack from st louis onto Flat Nasty.

I am not trying to do what the cool guys are doing, I don't care about fuel mileage, I don't care about cost to get one over a gasser. I just want to set the cruise and drive, tow 70 mph and not have to loss 10mph going up a slight hill.

I have problems with my 4L80E jumping into 2nd gear on pretty big hills and ppl with the 6.0L have the same issues from what I have read.
Well, first, don't use cruise, use your foot. Cruise lets the rpm drop too much before doing something about it, then it can be too late...

That sounds weak, though, if, at 70 mph you can't pull hills in 3rd gear. Even in my 5.9 dodge, I used could go up things like zilwaukee, etc, without resorting ever to 2nd gear.

I wasn't the happiest towing with my 5.9 dodge on anything but flat. But I like my V10. It makes more HP and Torque than the cummins from the same years(until the HO diesel came out).

It'll be replaced with a 4 door half ton in 2 years when my Fusion lease runs up.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07698 seconds with 20 queries