Thread: Mast Lake
View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Trail_Fanatic
Member since 1994

Sorry for the delay in response . . .

The Forest Service is planning to begin the official process sometime from mid January to mid February. We should try to have it done by then. If we err on the side of caution, that means mid-January. Snow is going to make it interesting. The holidays make matters worse. The Two Trackers are the closest club that I know of to the Project Area. They have people interested in mapping (as does GLFWDA) and have set a date for January 5th. That way people can get the Holidays out of the way (and get that GPS for Christmas:tonka:).

The area is only about 27 square miles (compared to the M Triangle's 100+) so it should go MUCH faster. We're finding that, depending on trail density, we average about 5 square miles of GPSing per day, per group. That equates to a little less than 6 "group-days" on the trail to get it mapped. A group consists of a minimum 2 vehicles with at least 3 people between them. So, the estimated need is for 18 people in 12 vehicles MINIMUM to get it done in one day.

You don't need to have a GPS to help out.
The 'system' works best (fastest) if there's a driver and a note-taker.
Mapping parties consist of more than one vehicle for safety (and it makes it more fun too), even thought the other vehicles don't really do anything. you can show up and be one of these support vehicles too.

Don't get me wrong, we need GPS units and digital cameras too, or we can't complete our objective. We've refined the preferred mapping method to include very little writing and almost no picture taking at all. It's mostly driving and dropping waypoints at intersections. We're making up a flier with easy to follow instructions and examples. Hopefully it will be ready for the 5th. I WILL have copies of the National Forest's maps available. Heck, if I get more time, I'll scan them in and post em up.

So . . .

Date: January 5th
Time: 9:00 am

Carpool Lot Details * Morley

Facility Name: Morley
County: Mecosta
Primary Route: US-131
Local Route: Jefferson Road
Exit Number: 125

Directions:
From northbound US-131 take exit 125 near Morley. Turn right/east onto Jefferson Road. Turn left/north onto 200th Avenue (first road on left/north). Lot is first right/east. From southbound US-131 take exit 125 near Morley. Turn left/east onto Jefferson Road. Turn left/north onto 200th Avenue (first road on left/north). Lot is first right/east.

Hope to see you there!

Last edited by Trail_Fanatic; December 14th, 2007 at 03:10 PM.
Trail_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05879 seconds with 11 queries