Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Ranger Solid Axle Swap
View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #10
chris1044

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ledd
Agreed about how under rated the suspension is.

I was actually thinking about a D60 TTB (because who's done that?) and going with 5.12's for the 38" tires. I was also going to tube it out and do a custom width.. I paid good money for the drop brackets, and the D28 I'm told will not hold up well to the size tires I'm currently running, then throw a V8 on top of it. With a 6.12(?):1 crawler gear before the T-case I can put alot of torque to the wheels.

I like lower gears, it's not a highway rig or a DD. The gearing and tire combo that I have claim that if I hit 70 mph in top gear, that 302 would be turning somewhere in the 3,600RPM range. I was
They only made the TTB up to a dana 50 front end....it's used in the F250's with IFS and is leaf sprung. If I'm not mistaken, it's alot stronger than the TTB44. If you really want to know more about doing a swap with it (convert it to coils obviously for your ranger) I'd ask over on therangerstation.com in their axles/fab forum - I'm sure someone knows more about it over there.....i've never really taken the time to look and compare it to the other TTB axles.

I've read on other forums that people have used TTB 44 knuckles/hubs/outer stub shafts for spline count/brakes on the D35 beams to gain the upgraded wheel bearing spacing as well as larger brakes (the hubs arent much stronger than the jeep hub upgrade for the 35) - but that swap is fairly rare from what I've read, and I'm not real knowlegable on it....

Quote:
I want to be getting some parts together for this project sooner rather than later, that why I inquired about that here. If the TTB D35 was stronger than the rear D35 I figured I'd inquire about the D44. It still seems odd to me that the TTB one is so much stronger.

Thanks Chris!
The TTB 35 is stronger than the jeep 35 because it's a whole different axle. The ring and pinion is a high pinion set up, unlike the jeep 35 low pinion set up.
While they share the same carrier (jeep lockers can be used in the front of rangers with this axle - TTB or SLA) as well as the same spider spline#, thats about all they share.....

Quote:
About putting a Solid Axle in, could you use the stock radius arms and then just make a trac bar from the passenger drop bracket? I think that would keep everything where it's supposed to be. Is that a good or bad idea?
Nope....solid axle is a whole nother box of worms. the stock radius arms are set up for TTB beams - wont work on an solid axle housing. The coil buckets must be modified (usually replaced with the coil buckets from the axle donor vehicle (unless you're going with leafs up front)) as well as the huge engine crossmember - it's got to be trimmed in the front for proper track bar clearance.
chris1044 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.09048 seconds with 20 queries