Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

the '46 2A *82" of FUN*

117K views 533 replies 85 participants last post by  Woodyjiw 
#1 · (Edited)
I think I finally have my build plan, and the engine goes in tomorrow so its a good time to post....

that mixed with a

Small Spring Lift
Buick 225 V6
T-86 or t-14
D18
slight stretch (very slight 2")
saggy swap using a FSJ power steering box (f'in huge)

pizza cutters
winch
possible PTO (if I can find one)

3.73 super NT D44
3.73 Standard NT D30 with Disc Brakes

Upgrade the Master cylinder to a 2 chamber at some point.

The jeep will have a military arctic hardtop off a M38 as well.

CJ5 frame... Beefier and will hold up better over time since this rig will likely be lightly wheeled.

Eventually Fuel Inject the 225 for added economy.

See less See more
#130 ·
:woot: just came in from the garage with Adam, I DROVE it tonight. At first I thought I had a really bad rod knock, because after I drove it something started hammering in the lower end once it was warm, turned out to be coincidence it looks like, turned out it was the dust shield got bent somehow and it sounded just like a rod banging away. Took the dust shield off and she purrrrrrs. It is at least 2/3 quieter then my other motor, I am thinking the other one must have had a wild cam in it or something. I let it get to operating temp and it held about 20psi at Idle, 40 off idle. Changing the oil on Friday, and really banging out the body work to maybe paint before the Willy's reunion!

#135 · (Edited)
Here are pics of the new motor installed, It needs another air cleaner, coolant overflow, and I think a new radiator cap. It was running 220 according to the cheap harbor freight temp gauge. I bought factory gauges for it at a swap meet last weekend (all but volts) and need to install them.

I think installing the heater will bring it down more too.

More pics...

Been slowing on it even though the weather is better, had to work on the house a little (landscaping and such)

#143 ·
I'm no rocket scientist, but what happens if someone rear ends you with that gas tank on the back?

#145 ·
Flatty got a new friend!!

Flatty pulls it great... even in THE most torrential rainstorm I have ever driven in, with no wipers no less :roll:R)

The guy ran over an hour late to meet me to pick it up, but said if we didn't do it tonight I wouldn't be able to get it for a week as he was heading out of town for a few days. I waited and the darker it got (sunny when we left) it was lightening like crazy and 2 miles from home it came in buckets... the jeep was full of water and draining out the holes guess they work R)R)

#147 ·
The real paint for the jeep hopefully will be painted by mid-late fall. As for now
Adam was a smartass and painted it aluminum color :tonka: It's bling.

Buying stuff I really don't need like a trailer and an engagement ring set me back a bit :tonka: :tonka:

We started a transmission swap last night... but it didn't go so well, so the T86 is going back in now instead of the t-14, though I am still changing a t-case to the twin sticked one.

#151 ·
Shake down run at UORC ! More pics!!

Front lugs loosened up on me on the way there -- they have been torqued 3X ???

Then the linkage came apart,got it out using the starter and finesse

Fixed and going again:
This one wanted to drive...

this guy (kid) begged for a ride through the course

VERY good time

#153 ·
It will come soon enough, I want most of the bugs worked out before I trail ride it. I need to fix the t-case levers because they keep popping out of the shift rails, and real paint to seal up the steel first. I don't want to be the guy holding everyone else up :sonicjay:

The Fiancee had me looking at wedding/reception locations all weekend :tonka:

#154 ·
Adam made me get motivated to do some work again, so here is what we did on Saturday...

The loops for the trailer chains -- courtesy of an old TJ swaybar.

The towbar mount/D-ring mounts, connected to the frame, the bumper is just a cover.

Beefed up the front frame, when we got it all apart you could tell the left front frame rail was moving -- pretty certain this was the cause of the 'wandering', the Saginaw swap was causing it... the original Ross steering didn't put that stress on the frame rail.

New 1/4" angle iron crossmember, also serves as a mount for the d-ring/towbar mounts.

First "real" load for the trailer, going to go burn it all at my parents property today.

Now to figure out why it's getting 'loose' on deceleration. I think it is the spring bushings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.