Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - building a utility trailer....
View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1
dngrous_Jeep
National Guard guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default building a utility trailer....

Okay, I'm getting some leaf springs checked tomorrow afternoon for their spring rate, so I'll know how big of a trailer I can build on them. Now for the tech part. What would be considered the minimum thickness for framerails on a small trailer?
I'm guessing this trailer will be 10-12' long when finished, and roughly 5-5.5' wide.
GF's dad has some heavy-duty shelving supports behind his shop that have been sitting there for quite a while. They don't have anything beyonf surface rust on them, but will they be thick enough for framerails?
We'll probably be using the rear axle from a mid-80s Dodge Caravan, and the rest will be kitbashed together. I've got a complete set of lights for it, and it will most likely use treated lumber for the deck.

Also, what sort of pipe should I be looking around for, for the tongue? Like I said, GF's dad has quite a bit of steel laying around, and I have a 7' piece of 1.5" or 1.75" HREW pipe, with probably a .25" wall thickness.
dngrous_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05729 seconds with 20 queries