Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Can I drive my full size rig down a quad trail in michigan if I don't hit any trees?
View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #31
Trail_Fanatic
Member since 1994

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

The Huron-Manistee NF is fond of 're-designating' two tracks to 50" and less only trails. Unfortunately, most of the time, they have their poop in a group enough to officially disallow larger vehicle traffic during the 'paper-pushing' portion of the process.

They have had a 'Transportation Management Plan' in place since the late 80s. The map created by this Plan is going to be the basis for the HMNF's Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) in spring '09. The only sure-fire way to be sure a trail is legal is to see if it's on the current transportation map.

Of course, in typical governmental fashion, there's a problem here too. The dilemma is that the map "Is not available to the public at this time" according to the NFS. This was their response when United Four Wheel Drive Association's Attorney, Carla Boucher, asked for a copy of it to aid in the formation of our Appeal of the HMNF's 2006 Forest Plan.

According to Carla, this creates a number of legal issues (Gray areas, if you like). If the map was available, it would be a no-brainer, it's either on the map or not. This will be the case after the new MVUM is published. The map isn't available though, so this leaves the Forest to revert back to the open unless posted closed to SOS vehicles law for Federal lands. The situation is further blurred toward our favor (for now) by the NF's continuous allowance of public use of the trails by not obstructing or otherwise indicating a closure.

Sorry, I thought you needed more smoke and mirrors to help you figure it all out! :tonka:

Other than that, KB8YMF has it on the nose.
Almost makes a person want to go out and get a ticket just to fight it, eh?
Wheeler's form of civil disobenience.

Last edited by Trail_Fanatic; September 18th, 2007 at 05:43 PM.
Trail_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05748 seconds with 20 queries