Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - yj bumper
Thread: yj bumper
View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #5
comanche38

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

If that is what you like, go for it. There is just no need for that much weld. If you have a 3/4" clevis or D-ring you really only need let's say a total of ONE INCH of good, proper weld to carry the same weight, obviously you have to take into account the occasional side pull and such, so it would be more. I figured one inch because the clevis is hardened. I have built many bumpers and worked in the steel business and fabrication for almost all of my working life and the D-Ring mounts that I make are made out of 2 1/2" x 3/4" stock, bevel the welding surface, run a 1/2 weld around it and I have over 3" of weld, well over the required. I do not doubt that you do good work (even though I have not seen any in person) but the ones you saw pull off had other problems - not enough weld, not properly welded or not properly prepped. This just seems overkill and it makes them stand out too much, for my taste.
comanche38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05171 seconds with 20 queries