Lots of requirements:
257.803m Special organization plates.
(1) The secretary of state may issue 2 special organization motor vehicle registration plates to an applicant for use on a passenger motor vehicle, pickup truck, van, or motor home for which the plates are issued instead of standard plates. A special organization motor vehicle registration plate is a registration plate issued by the secretary of state that bears on its face the symbol or emblem of an organization.
(2) Special organization plates shall bear letters and numbers as the secretary of state prescribes. Special organization plates may contain the symbol of the organization to the left of the plate number. The secretary of state shall not issue a letter combination or permit the use of a symbol which might carry a connotation offensive to good taste and decency. The special organization plates shall be made of the same material as standard plates. Special organization plates shall not be a duplication of another registration plate.
(3) In order to qualify its members to receive special organization plates, an organization shall meet all of the following criteria:
(a) Be a nonprofit fraternal or public service organization.
(b) Certify that it consists of not less than 500 members and that not less than 500 members will apply for special organization registration plates.
(c) Have a recognizable state, national, or international symbol or emblem of the organization.
(d) Submit a service fee of $500.00 for the initial manufacture of the symbols or emblems for the special registration plates.
(e) Not practice or influence others to practice any form of discrimination prohibited by the Elliott-Larsen civil rights act, 1976 PA 453, MCL 37.2101 to 37.2804.
(4) If an organization meets the criteria set forth in subsection (3), the organization may request the secretary of state to manufacture special organization registration plates for its members. A request shall be accompanied by all of the following:
(a) A copy of the organization's charter and bylaws, if any.
(b) A statement of the organization's consent to use of the organization's symbol or emblem on special organization plates. The statement shall be signed by the president or chief executive officer of the organization.
(c) A sample of the organization's symbol or emblem.
(d) The name of the organization's representative who will serve as a contact person with the secretary of state.
(5) A member of an organization which has met the criteria set forth in subsection (3) shall individually make application for a special organization plate and submit with the application the organization's confirmation of membership on a form provided by the secretary of state.
(6) An application for a special organization registration plate shall be submitted to the secretary of state pursuant to the procedures prescribed in section 217. In addition to the regular registration fee, each application for a new special organization plate shall be accompanied by a service fee of $25.00. The service fee prescribed in this subsection shall not be charged in connection with an application for a renewal tab for an existing special organization plate. A special organization registration plate shall expire as provided in section 226.
(7) The secretary of state may issue a temporary registration permit to a person who submits an application and the proper fees for a special organization plate, if the applicant's current vehicle registration will expire before his or her receipt of an organization plate. The temporary registration shall expire upon the applicant's receipt of an organization plate or upon the expiration of 60 days after the date of issuance, whichever occurs first. A temporary permit issued under this subsection shall be issued without charge.
(8) This section shall apply to an organization described in section 811c only to the extent provided by section 811c.
History: Add. 1989, Act 111, Eff. Mar. 29, 1990 ;-- Am. 1994, Act 332, Imd. Eff. Oct. 18, 1994 ;-- Am. 2003, Act 152, Eff. Oct. 1, 2003