Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Illegal wheeling video in the UP
View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #76
Trail_Fanatic
Member since 1994

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
for any form of traffic. Either foot or motor.
No.

They have the right to close trails to motors, if they wish.
They only have to permit hunting and access, but access doesn't necessarily have to be motorized. Be GLAD that they have allowed motorized there as long as they did!

Quote:
. . .as most of the land we wheel is CFA land does this no spin tires rule still apply?
Unfortunately, and as far as I've been able to discern - yes. Just like the helmet law still applies to private land , or the drug laws. It'
s private property, but if an LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) sees a crime being committed he has the right (and responsibility) to enter the land with out permission and address the crime.

Quote:
Second, anything that you want to wheel must be able to be traveled by a 2 wheel drive?
On State and CF lands, YES.

Quote:
. . .so we should have never been there?
Sorry but, nope.

Quote:
It was an open trail, run by many of both MTU students and locals. Also many of the other trails we run you could never make it down with a 2 wheel drive, so we cant be there either?
A trail that is not blocked is not always 'open'. It's only open until a car couldn't run it, then you're supposed to turn around and leave.

Quote:
If these areas can not be run then I donít see much Wheeling here in the Keweenaw that can be done legally. We donít have scramble areas. If I pick trails to run that are accessible by a 2 wheel drive then we are not wheelin.
Now you're beginning to see why we're trying SO hard to better our situation - AND why it's so easy for the unknowing to cause unintended trouble for us at the AB meetings.

Quote:
As soon as you start spinning the tires, do you pull cable?
No, you turn around and leave -- that's a DIRECT quote form Steve K. at an ORV AB meeting.

Quote:
I'm at a loss here. Seems this sport cant go on any longer in our area with all the shit that has been hitting the fan. This issue we are discussing as well as others in the Keweenaw.
NOW you know why it's SOOOoooo important to join GLFWDA and add your membership to their 'numbers' and add your $20 bucks to their coffers - so they can DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Quote:
I question for all reading this thread. Have you ever spun your tires on land that was not on an ORV park, or any of these areas in question besides water areas? I find it hard to believe no one has.
Of course I have.
BUT, that was a long time ago, before I learned better.
AND I LIKED IT!
THAT'S why I'm doing everything I can to improve our situation.

Quote:
I thought the wheelin we did was legal, but apparently what I thought was wheelin is busting the rules. And real wheelin in MI is 2 wheelin. More info on this topic of CFA land and tires being spun would be great as I donít want to take the club places we should not be.
THANK YOU for asking how to do it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd sure like to talk with you and your President in more detail.

PM me your phone #s so I can give you a ring???
Trail_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.15998 seconds with 20 queries