Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - ***hey axle guru's....a little help please***
View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #7
KILLER"B"468
Yankabilly

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Never seen a sealed bearing for the rear. Are you sure it is not the race still connected to the bearing. Since they are sold as a set and the race has a snap edge. Maybe that one didn't pop. I have worked on both situations that you have.

If it does have the inner seal on the one side then I would put one in on the other side. These were meant to be lube by bearing grease since the gear oil never makes it to the with the inner seal. I like running this set up. I drilled and tapped a grease fitting on the axle housing between the inner seal and the bearing. I would pump it full of grease before going out to wheel (that was years ago).

Any ways you can use the set 10 bearing either way with or without the inner seal. If you use it with out the inner seal make sure that the bearing you are using is packed with grease from the factory. Or you hand pack it and then install. Since it takes awhile for the gear oil to bathe it. That way you don't take the chance of burning out a new bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
An occasional jello or vasoline wrestling match isn't out of the question either.
KILLER"B"468 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05629 seconds with 20 queries