Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Dana 44- thick or thin? Master instal kit required?
View Single Post
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #9
Haggar
Covered in mud...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsand? View Post
I have read of the importance of marking the diff bearing caps so they go back on properly.....lets say this guy I know (me) forgot to mark the caps before they were removed. if the bearings on the diff are being replaced, how important is the replacing of them by side? I understand they need to go on correctly (there is a groove I believe) but does which side they are reinstalled on really matter? I, I mean he appreciates the info...:tonka:
Yes, they are usually align-bored in place, its generally the same with cam caps, main caps, etc, the holes in them are specifically matched to the holes in the carrier. Otherwise, the circle created by the carrier/cap might be not prefectly matched up. So you mark them left/right, and up/down. I will put one punch mark on the upper left and two punch marks on the upper right when I do mine.

Talking to someone who's done them before would be undoubtedly helpful. One thing that people do, is make a 2nd set of bearings which have been opened up so they aren't a press fit onto the carrier. THey'll use those to get the shimming right, then switch in the press fit bearings at the end.

If you managed to save your old bearings, they could get used for that purpose.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06034 seconds with 20 queries