Jeep night was tonight. Pulled the engine, trans, and t-case. Trans is headed across town for a check up.
I inspected the wire harness where it the grommet failed and the wires rubbed on the firewall. A few wires have some abrasion marks. My plan is to touch up the bad spots with some liquid electrical tape to make sure the copper is coated, and then I will tape it up and reuse the section of radiator hose that we are using for chaff guard.
We spent a bunch of time looking at making a dash upgrade. On the way to the Harlan ECORS race we picked up a GPS and wanted to mount it in dash, and the location for our intercomm wasn't as good as we thought, and we just got a race radio to be able to talk with the pits, so it was time for a change.
We also spent a little time looking at modifying the rear spare tire mount to make room for tools, fluids, and a spare power steering box. But that will come after the dash project.
If it works like we planned, the gauges will still be in the center so either of us can watch them, We are going to drop the tach since it hasn't worked anyway. The radio and intercomm will be on the driver's side, and the GPS will be on the passenger.
We made a quick template from some scrap masonite and have a rough layout. Next up