Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Makin changes to the buggy, MuddyPaws 4.0
View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:41 AM   #32
Buggy_Tim
(513) 891-8372

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

So putting a V6 high pinion center in a 4 cylinder low pinion housing presents some challenges.

First the bearing adjusters are way bigger and different. Not the rounded stamped steel like the 4 cyl has. They do not fit.

And the ring gear is noticeably thicker. Thicker is better right? Either way, it don't fit.

So clearancing is required.

Ok, so that's done, then more problems. Pulled all the studs and replaced them with bolts. Toy people know, but others may not know that the studs can pull out. So I replaced them all and put loc tight on them to keep them there.

The problem comes when I put the diff in. The mounting face on the 6 cylinder is far thicker than the 4 cylinder diff I pulled out of there. I didn't catch that before putting it together. So a lock washer won't fit and not enough threads are available for me to feel comfortable with just running a nut with loc tight. So the diff has to come back out, get cleaned back up and all new bolts put in.

I said screw it for now and went on with setting the perches. Got the perches set and burned in. Set caster to about 9 degrees positive. Perches have 3 holes but I decided to use the center and not do the one inch stretch. The 1 inch stretch equated to just about a 2 inch difference in how the driveshaft splines engage at full droop.

Buggy_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06562 seconds with 20 queries