Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Sova's thread got me thinkin.....
View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:43 PM   #92
opie
www.krissplicing.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post

Opie, I don't have time to quote/unquote everything you said.

I'll try and summarize. You talked about things just being right and wrong. My question is why? Why are they right or wrong? To take it a step further, how do those limits help us move towards a stronger speicies?
Ill define wrong as I see it. Right would be the opposite of what Im about to type.

Wrong is living your life or conducting yourself in a manner that adversely effects other people, or your immediate family. Such as stealing, raping, mugging etc. Thats pretty general, and I can break it down, but I believe my definition covers just about every base.

Having respect for your neighbor and fellow man helps everyone move towards a stronger species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
When I say 'we're accidents' I'm refering to the fact that, if you believe in Macro evoultion, we're all accidents. Our exsistence is happenstance and to try and put purpose or reasons to that existence seems pointless. Our lives our 'a blip on the radar' as you said. We have no effect on the future as individuals nor really as larger groups. What's the point of following morals if they won't effect the grand scheme of things (thousands/millions of years)?
First you would have to actually believe your existence has no effect on the future. A. Einstein, G. Washington, T. Edison, S. Jobs, E. Whitney..... Just to name a few, all have effected the future they left behind. This doesn't even scratch the philanthropists that give the majority of their money away like Annenberg. ALL effected the future they left behind.

Im not sure I buy into the "accident" notion. Generally speaking, it takes two people to engage in sex to create a human. Now, you can argue the outcome of that activity is an accident, but engaging in that activity was not. And placing the burden of the "accident" on the by product of the activity seems to me to be putting that person at a disadvantage right out of the gate.

However.... While we agree that in general most folks can not comprehend that we are just a blip on the radar, they do look at their lives as being long. Mortality is lost on the young. So unless you are going to end your pointless existence, its best to make the best of it while you are here.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08412 seconds with 20 queries