View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:03 AM   #10
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter

Insurance up $300 (+66%) for the year, deductible up $400 (+12%), max out of pocket up $500 (+10%). Dental up over $100 (+25%) for the year, No vision coverage.

They pushed us out of low deductible PPOs and HMOs to the Medical Spending Accounts with major medical coverage a few years ago. There are two plans: You can choose to pay less premium, less deductible but higher max out of pocket; or higher premium and deductible, but less max out of pocket. I'm in plan A figuring that on average I won't hit max out of pocket and can hopefully put more in my 401k style medical spending account for the years we have bigger bills.

They wouldn't say what portion of the increase is the year to year we've been getting hit with, and what portion was due to Obamacare. I do know that in the mid-90s I was paying $20/month for the full bells and whistles HAP plan. It's rapidly gone up from there. When my 2nd kid was born 6 years ago I was paying about the same monthly for the full bell and whistle PPO plan as I pay today just for shitty coverage. I'm jamming the max amount into the medical account trying to tax shelter the health care costs. So that takes the monthly way up there.

It's just another aspect of my life that I'm forking out more than yesterday for less than yesterday. It's awesome being middle class, middle age, white male.
JohnnyJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04308 seconds with 11 queries