Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Learn me some on best online storage & external drives
View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #36
schweeb
spelling nazi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jeep View Post
Thanks!

I like the Drobo over synology for some reason, but the cost seems a bit high. For 4-5tb, synology is $600 and up and Drobo about $1000 and up.

I don't want it to be on a network (so i can protect it from a virus, etc.). I think that's why I like Drobo.

How long can I expect this setup to last? Physically/functionally?
Technically it'll last nearly indefinitely, you may have to replace drives sporadically if they fail. The drives have 3yr warranty, the Drobo has 2 yr warranty.

You don't really have to protect them from viruses... just ensure that anything touching them (your laptop, desktop) has anti-virus on it.

I have a Drobo 5N, 3x 3TB RED drives, and 2x 1TB random drives... Works extremely well. I probably should have bought the Synology, though - it has a few features I'd find useful.

The Drobo is as simple as connecting your (USB|Thunderbolt|Network) cable, installing the console on your computer, popping the drives in, and clicking a few buttons. The Synology may be slightly more involved.
schweeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05891 seconds with 20 queries