Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Project BS3.5 - Another Budget Samurai
View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #32
kkodet
Formerly Route55

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

This morning started with the removal of the driver fender flare to start figuring out what I was going to do about tire clearance now that the 31s are mounted up.

Lots of rust under the old inner flare bracket.

Using the old inner bracket as a template I cut out most of the rust with the plasma.

Making a few final cuts with a sawzall up near the headlight area I was able to remove the stock inner fender in one big piece, leaving only now the greatly enlarged wheel opening.

And replacing the inner fender, pushing it up 2 inches higher than it was before. Welding thin Japanese sheetmetal is a pain with .035 wire! I really need to set up an .023 machine!

The only modification necessary to the body tub that was necessary to raise the inner fenders was to slice and hammer over this small lip under the brake booster.

Top view of re-installed inner fender. I even took the time to cut and reweld the three small brackets that work as braces/stiffeners. The tiny factory jack still fits under the hood too.

Last edited by kkodet; September 19th, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
kkodet is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06417 seconds with 20 queries