Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Axles+tires=gears
View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #47
Carbon
Yooper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
A Dana 20 is not bullet proof and anything can break given enough stupidity.

I have a completely rebuilt/never ran sm465/d20/18 with every option herm the overdrive guy could install in it that is collecting dust for over a year because I upgraded to an engine that will break the case in two with my "F it I can make that" attitude.

Yes, a terra low kit will be harder on your joints and pinions. That's why I recommended larger joints and beefing the pinion. I don't know why you wouldn't go double cv the cost is not much more.

4.10x2=8.20
4.10x3.15=12.91
5.38x2=10.76

Lots of guys myself included have got to the top of hills many times with nothing more then a 40/1 ratio. They had 100x raitos, big blocks, and big azz tires. I had a 4 banger, 28" tires and a welded rear.

Gear ratios and big tires don't mean jack if you can not get traction.

I don't see whats wrong with the 38's and ratio you currently have. Shave that pig and install a locker. If you feel you need more gear you can install it later.
Thats actually a solid plan. I will get the drive line finished and play with it as is to see what I need. I don't know how much longer I can look at in my garage and not be able to drive it around the yard.
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06586 seconds with 20 queries