Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Axles+tires=gears
View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #47
Carbon
Yooper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
A Dana 20 is not bullet proof and anything can break given enough stupidity.

I have a completely rebuilt/never ran sm465/d20/18 with every option herm the overdrive guy could install in it that is collecting dust for over a year because I upgraded to an engine that will break the case in two with my "F it I can make that" attitude.

Yes, a terra low kit will be harder on your joints and pinions. That's why I recommended larger joints and beefing the pinion. I don't know why you wouldn't go double cv the cost is not much more.

4.10x2=8.20
4.10x3.15=12.91
5.38x2=10.76

Lots of guys myself included have got to the top of hills many times with nothing more then a 40/1 ratio. They had 100x raitos, big blocks, and big azz tires. I had a 4 banger, 28" tires and a welded rear.

Gear ratios and big tires don't mean jack if you can not get traction.

I don't see whats wrong with the 38's and ratio you currently have. Shave that pig and install a locker. If you feel you need more gear you can install it later.
Thats actually a solid plan. I will get the drive line finished and play with it as is to see what I need. I don't know how much longer I can look at in my garage and not be able to drive it around the yard.
Carbon is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07487 seconds with 21 queries