Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Charge Rent Or Not
View Single Post
Old August 29th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #59
howell_jeep
Last Free Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaguy View Post
You judge based on not knowing anything. Every family is dysfunctional, every single one. There is no perfect family, to include yours. There is an issue I see with you, but to refrain from calling kettle black, I will withold. One thing you could keep in mind, is as perfect a handle you have on your family, is that somewhere you are screwing up. It's no ones business to judge, but stop thinking you are above everyone. You have had this attitude before.

Wanna know something? I come from a dysfunctional family. Horribly sexually, emotionally, and physically abused mom, and due to this childhood abuse, she was absent from my life most of my childhood. My father was a very angry controlling absent father who was also a workaholic. Youngest sister is mentally handicapped. Dysfunctional? Hell yea. Am I screwed up as a man? A productive person of society? Possibly. I'm an asshole, prick, but I pray, go to church, and have a conscience on how I treat others. Honesty is a core value, and patriotic spirit too. I don't always agree with what I even do for a living, but my ethics keeps me employed and I earn my check honestly.

So for you to take this 'high road' and say you will never charge your children rent for living in your own house, be sure you don't disservice them further by reducing other valuable lessons available to you. And don't judge someone else for their methods of parenting either. I may have come from a screwed up family, but they charged me rent to live their when I got my first job. It didn't screw me up, it did hurt some paydays, but it taught me something. Sure, it didn't teach me EVERYTHING, but there is MERIT in my parents raising me the way they did.

You very well may have a different approach on teaching your kids the value of being mature, but stop your arrogance on others for how they may have done things. You aren't on any posters I've ever seen for perfect parenting.

:end rant:
I feel empathy for what you went through, but I believe you are missing the point.

I'm not sure where this rant came from. I wasn't saying I'm a perfect parent or even that I'm a good one. I try to do my best, just like a lot of parents try their best. Then we have those from dysfanctional families that either do not care to try their best, or they simply can't because they lack a point of reference since their own childhood was a mess.

All families cannot be dysfunctional, because then, that would be the norm. :)

All families may have certain traits or behavior that characterizes a dysfanctional family. I think this is what you were trying to say, however that does not make all families dysfunctional.

I wasn't even saying that parents who came from dysfanctional families are not able to be good parents to their children.

I was replying to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Entitled fuckface, Obama phone toting, food stamp using, debt dodging, welfare living generation.
I see this as proof that something, somewhere went wrong in bringing up these kids if they have this attitude towards life.

Thinking more about charging my kids rent, I would still not charge them rent to live with me, but if they turned out to be scum or leeches, I would rather throw them out of my house than support their behavior by providing them "cheap" place to live.
howell_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08488 seconds with 20 queries