Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Had to put pants and shoes on for work this week exactly once.
View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:14 AM   #12
kickstand
sHaMoNe!

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
guess what. I never saw an i9 before this form was sent to me. And certainly never signed one.

therefore, it's "new" to me. apparently it's also 'new' to the folks at Fenton City Hall, as they'd only seen one once, and didn't want to touch it.

*shrug*
You may not have seen one before, but you have to have 2 forms of identification to work and have your i9 completed. It is a new requirement to have to sign the form and show actual physical copies to the person completing the form.

I find it awful hard to believe (nearly impossible) that i have had to I9 every employee i have hired for over 10 years (50-75 people per year) and yet you never signed one before and were able to work without having the proper legal document on file to verify your identification and legal right to work in the US. Do some reading, you've filled out an i9 before....

Quote:
Purpose of Form :
Form I-9 is used for verifying the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States. All U.S. employers must ensure proper completion of Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and noncitizens. Both employees and employers (or authorized representatives of the employer) must complete the form. On the form, an employee must attest to his or her employment authorization. The employee must also present his or her employer with acceptable documents evidencing identity and employment authorization. The employer must examine the employment eligibility and identity document(s) an employee presents to determine whether the document(s) reasonably appear to be genuine and to relate to the employee and record the document information on the Form I-9. The list of acceptable documents can be found on the last page of the form. Employers must retain Form I-9 for a designated period and make it available for inspection by authorized government officers. NOTE: State agencies may use Form I-9. Also, some agricultural recruiters and referrers for a fee may be required to use Form I-9.
Quote:
The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) required employers to verify that all newly hired employees present "facially valid" documentation verifying the employee's identity and legal authorization to accept employment in the United States.[1] The I-9 form or more properly the Employment Eligibility Verification Form is provided by the federal government for that purpose. Every employee hired after November 6, 1986 must complete an I-9 form at the time of hire. Employees must complete Section 1 of the form at the actual beginning of employment. The employer must complete Section 2 within three days of starting work.[1] The employer is responsible for ensuring that the forms are completed properly, and in a timely manner. The I-9 is not required for unpaid volunteers or for contractors.[1] However, a company could still find itself liable if it contracts work to a company knowing that the contractor employs unauthorized workers.[1] On March 8, 2013, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services USCIS published a new I-9 Form. [2] Use of earlier versions of the I-9 from are only acceptable until May 7, 2013. After May 7, 2013, all employers must use the revised I-9 Form. [3] The revised I-9 form requires input from both the employee and employer (or an authorized representative of the employer). Although the new form is largely the same, several lay-out changes were made in order to make the form easier to read and more user-friendly. [4]

If an employee cannot read or cannot write English, a translator or preparer may complete the form and sign it, in addition to the employee's own signature.

In October 2004, new legislation made it possible to complete the I-9 electronically.[
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06911 seconds with 20 queries