Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Random Thoughts
Thread: Random Thoughts
View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #12564
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousypirate View Post
I've talked to a couple mdot tester s for bridge welding. They told me that more get certified than are actually capable.

Last i knew, my dad was one of twelve in the state that are certified. The testers said that of the twelve, only 5-6 were actually that good. (My dad must have been one of them lol)

Anybody can get lucky once. Can't you pass with just one weld? There is also a bunch of other types of pipe welder certification also.

I know my dad and grandpa always just opted for the most difficult weld to get certification for all pipe. I know it is on a 45, something like single pass or continuous bead or something
There are a ton of pipe certs, it just depends on what you do. Just between my stainless and carbon certs I have taken 7 separate tests. To be certified in all positions you must test in the 6g position which is the pipe on a 45 degree angle. 11 leaks is just amazing to me to have in one room. I don't know any welders (that are still employed) that have had more than 5 in an entire career.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05129 seconds with 20 queries