Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Paint/coating to protect zinc?
View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Motorcitydak
Merkin salesman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Motorcitydak
Default Paint/coating to protect zinc?

So here is the story: My GE washing machine started banging when spinning and had smoke inside when I opened the door. Its a front load so the drum is supported only by a spindle at the back of the tub. There are 3 spokes that hold the spindle to the tub. That piece was completely caked in soap residue (like i was chipping it off with a screw driver) and found that one of the 3 spokes had cracked thru. I had a service tech over yesterday (turns out there was a recall on this one), I was hoping that they would replace the tub assembly but no luck, just a software update.

We were talking about the real problem and both think that the metal used for this piece is zinc which in our opinions is really stupid since I have well water and a softener. My broken one is badly pitted and it obviously failed on me in 3 years of use. The tub is listed at $400+, somehow he got me one ordered for $190 but still I am not very pleased and do not want to go thru this again. I guess I should have been running the basket clean cycle that I did not know about but will do now. I also want to paint or coat this new zinc piece in something that will keep it protected to hopefully never have this problem. What do you guys think I can use for this? Just some random rustoleum? maybe pasti-dip?
Motorcitydak is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06822 seconds with 20 queries