Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - repair shop in metro detroit for an audi TT clutch job?
View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #32
mudrunner78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst View Post
I understand the industry pretty well, as my former step father was an ASE certified master mechanic who owned his own import auto/elec shop.

I also know they bill the job by the hour, so if the book spec for a job is 10 hours, and it takes your speedy mechanic 5 hours, you still bill the customer for the full 10. This is why it pays to be a fast mechanic - you're essentially getting paid for more hours than what you're working.

This is also why you have so many mechanics doing work on the side. How many burger flippers do you see running around as freelance cooks at backyard BBQ's?
That is called commission or paid by book time. The reason why we do side work cuz it pays awesome! average mechanic at an independant shop makes $20 an hr "journey man". Shop rate averages what $80 an hr outside major cities. With no overhead at your house we can easily charge 40-50 an hr.
mudrunner78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06224 seconds with 20 queries