Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Which manual tranny/case to use for a 302V8 swap
View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
jeepers48

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
ZF5 if its going to see street/highway duty. Four speed if its a trail truck. '84 is pretty unimpressive if its a factory engine (which probably isn't if its been swapped to EFI), find an Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0L.
Well Ebs, today I eat "Crow" I have the Mustang on Craigs list to part out the rest of the car, a guy stopped over to buy the wheels, seeing the motor on the engine stand, he told me "no way the motor is from a 1984 Mustang. Must be 87 on up. He told me it looks like the upper intake came off a later ford explorer, but definitely has GT40 heads on the motor.(I popped the valve covers) I pulled the valve covers off the other day, for inspection to reveal it does have Ford Factory roller rockers.

I haven't, so far, been able to locate a ZF5spd. Other tranny swaps ive read about on the Novak site were a ford T-18, jeepT176, jeep AX15.
Yhe T-18 and AX15 would endup drivers drop cases and if I found a T-176, would be a pass drop case. im leaning towards a T-176. I had one once before and it held up fine behind a amc401. I used it rock crawling and briefly(2 days)sand drags.

Last edited by jeepers48; July 14th, 2013 at 07:36 PM.
jeepers48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05416 seconds with 20 queries