Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - I was gonna join the military but....
View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:18 PM   #106
WSU JK

Location: Lowering the Per-Capita Income of Bloomfield Hills since 2009!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acasper708 View Post
Anyone wish the stayed in and retired?
I do. I miss it a lot. But my knees and hips were killing me from all the runnin and humping. My section chief was 36yrs old and looked over 50. He had to take pain killers every mornin just to go runnin and had a bad limp. I said Ef it! I'm out. I'm not killing my body. It took 2 years after getting out till my hips stopped hurting.
When I was recalled from the IRR on to active duty I was originally supposed to only stay for an extra year but was enjoying it so much and working in a great unit with great people so I voluntarily extended for an additional year.

Near the end of that year, I was ready to reenlist back to active duty and was going to go to Stuttgart, Germany to work at the G3 in MARFOREUR for at least three years. Everything was all set and then at the last minute a hold was placed on all the Marines on the East Coast in preparation for the surge in Iraq and I wouldn't be going to Germany.

Looking at ever increasing odds of getting sent to Iraq or the option of just ending my voluntary extension, I basically said, "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" and cancelled my extension and reenlistment. The day that I was leaving to drive back to Michigan I stopped by my old office in the morning and answered the phone when my potential boss in Germany called to tell me they got my orders approved. I told him it was too late, I'm packed and my Jeep was idling outside waiting for me to hop in and head north.

After a few months I regretted that decision. I've since gotten over it though.
WSU JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08183 seconds with 20 queries