Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - School me on pneumatic tool overhaul
View Single Post
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #1
NSmist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to NSmist
Default School me on pneumatic tool overhaul

So I brought home a few old air polishers from work to play around with that have been collecting dust. They're some nice tools but they were neglected (not by me) and need parts. Chicago Pneumatic and Dotco stuff. Never needed to fix or overhaul air tools before.

My few questions...

What are some of the better places to buy parts? Paint shops and small power tool shops here and there are "authorized retailers", but if I can get away without paying their mark ups I'll be in better shape. A quick flick of the Google brought up ereplacementparts.com (anybody ever use them?) From what I've totaled up I'm looking at about $80-$120 in bearings and other pieces.

Bearings: It seems like that's the #1 part to go in these things. Non-stop use + minimal grease from the manufacturer takes its toll quick. I know here and there some tool manufacturers have their own grease to slap in their tools. Is there a specific grease that MUST be used in air tools or can I get away with say high temp wheel bearing grease? Automotive repair doesn't exactly always transfer to pneumatic tool repair.

Any other tips or tricks?
NSmist is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05895 seconds with 20 queries