Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Used engine- items to replace?
View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #1
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default Used engine- items to replace?

I am in the process of getting a new motor for my 1996 silverado from a member on here. In talks with him (or her?) the motor has about 160k and only has a small valve cover oil leak. I plan on keeping the truck, I doubt id actually ever sell it, so what should I replace on it before it actually goes into the truck?

I'm not sure I really want to break open a perfectly good motor to replace parts that haven't actually worn out yet, but at the same time I don't want to have to replace something major 5,000 miles after I put the motor in. So I was thinking maybe the intake gasket, and possibly timing chain, oil pump/ oil pan gasket? I plan on getting a set of shorty headers so the manifolds will be going away either way.

I have always wanted to build up the motor a bit, I have a tuned pcm from black bear customs, so would now be the time to instal a new cam?

I would rather not spend a hole ton of money on it since the truck is really just a PP and I don't have a ton of extra money to throw at it....but would it be worth it to throw a few extra bucks at it now?

Last edited by wave_crusher; June 5th, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
wave_crusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06095 seconds with 20 queries