Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Is resurfacing rotors/drums a lost art?
View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #23
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd1469 View Post
The cheap (exspensive/ junk) metal used to make rotors nowdays is harder to get a quality cut on in my exsperiece. They dont seem to stay true as well. That, along with the fact that rotors rust and deteriorate on surfaces that cant be turned make it easier to just buy new.
You can turn a rotor and still end up with a shimny or viberation because the cooling fins can rust away and throw the rotor out of balence. Twenty or thirty years ago you would never notice a unbalenced rotor because cars were not that smooth. Now cars are so refined you notice everything.
For most shops it doesnt make sence to turn when they can just slap on new ones and charge you the same $100 per hr. Plus mark up the cost of parts.
That makes sense, but not when I'm paying extra for better rotors in the first place. It's not a huge deal, but like kickstand said, it's just a waste. Why fix it when you can buy new??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdgmc View Post
where did you go in alpena to have them turned?
I can't remember the name of the shop, it's the white building between mcds and kmart, something muffler shop??? Beavers said they turn them but told me no when I brought the rotors in; carquest said they couldn't be turned either. This was also for rotors on two different vehicles, 1996 chevy 1500 and 2006 colorado
wave_crusher is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05809 seconds with 20 queries