View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #47
kickstand
sHaMoNe!

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
So since you never answered my question about riding truly high end bikes I'm guessing you never have.
What kind of dick measuring contest are you attempting to make this?

I answered your question, I told you I don't buy completes. I try not to know how much I have into my bikes. I don't build them with shit components though.

My Fork cost more than your complete Voodoo Bizango. Is that high end enough for you?

I prefer sram components, I run xo shifters/derailuers, you think those are ok?

Mavic hoops, hope pro II Evo hubs

Avid Code brakes on the DH bikes, Elixir's on the XC bikes, and have a few pairs of juicy 3/5/7's laying around.

Is any of that stuff any good bike shop guy?

here let me go back and put this all into persepctive for you.

you said.

Quote:
These are what I ride. They are $1000 a set when I got mine so these are a good price.
i said
Quote:
I'd hope they are a good price, they are 10 year old wheels
So, we'll stop there for a minute. 10 year old wheels. USED 10 year old wheels. Yup, I still say I sure hope they are a good price, they are 10 year old USED wheels. Miles on the bearing, miles on the spokes, hoops, fatigue, maintenance, age, etc. Yup....I still say I hope they are a good price they are 10 year old wheels.

Then YOU said:
Quote:
Bikes haven't made any big upgrades in the last 10 years. My 2001 ciocc eom16.5 with campy record carbon components isn't any behind a brand new bike in any way except the date it was built. It is a steel framed 59cm bike that weighs in at 18#. As long as the wheels haven't been rode to death they are still top of the line.
Bikes-Well I think it's VERY obvious by now that BIKES have made MASSIVE improvments in just the last 5-6 years, let alone 10-13 years. I'll give you that road bike and hardtail mountain bike frame technology hasn't come 1 million miles, but as I already pointed out hydro formed frames, better carbon fiber frames, etc. have ALL been released since 2001.

I even told you already that, I mean I gave you that frames haven't made a BUNCH of improvments (again hardtail and road bike frames) but I still stand buy the fact that they HAVE improved.

Quote:
ummmm.....maybe road bikes, and maybe certain parts of bikes haven't made any major upgrades, but rear hubs have gotten better. Case in point mavic has made 2 or 3 legitamate updates to their rear hubs for MTB purposes just in the last few years.....or at least their marketing group would lead you to believe that.
Then you reply with this "gem"

Quote:
What is better about them? I got a Gary fisher 29er a couple years ago that was pretty top of the line and I wouldn't say it was any better than the late 90s voodoo bizango that I used to ride. In the late 90s early 2000s is when I feel bikes hit a plateau. For road bikes they limit you to 15# and you must have a double diamond frame to race. That made companies not attempt to make lighter components and frames. Directional carbon fiber was basically perfected in that era so you can have a Plush ride and have it be stiff side to side. Suspension geometry on mtb's hasn't gotten any better. Suspension lockouts were also just as good then as they are now. Disk brakes were also just as good then as now. They tried adding mores gears but all that did is make it so you have to have a more narrow finicky chain. There is no new materials that make anything lighter or stronger.
1. Pretty top of the line? So like was it over your $4k threshold, what model is it? What component level are you running?

Then, you go back into your road bike thing, and being lighter and a bunch of retarded shit, when nobody said anything about lighter, if you go back and look I mentioned mavic has made improvements to some of their hubs for reliability, no mention whatsoever of weight.

2. Suspension-Yeah, this is where you just got retarded and looked like a fool. In the late 90's and early 2000's we were riding elastomer suspension forks with terrible damping systems and rear suspension systems that had massive pedal bob, brake jack, serious chain growth/shrinkage issues through the suspension cycle, etc. Todays suspension is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the shit we rode 10-15 years ago, and still even better than the stuff we rode 5 years ago. My 2009 Kona Coilair doesn't hole a CANDLE to todays 6" all mountain and enduro bikes that the Coilair was built to be. Kona doesn't even make a coiler/coilair anymore and the bikes that replaced it have had significant tweaks to the suspension to improve on the design.

I won't even get into single pivots, horst links, dw-links, vpp links.

3. Disc Brakes - Clearly you don't know much about disc brakes.

Should I keep going?

Bikes have improved, components have improved, and small improvements in all areas of bikes (major improvements in others) all add up to better more improved bikes.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08766 seconds with 11 queries