Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Road Bike People
View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #16
kickstand
sHaMoNe!

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
What is better about them? I got a Gary fisher 29er a couple years ago that was pretty top of the line and I wouldn't say it was any better than the late 90s voodoo bizango that I used to ride. In the late 90s early 2000s is when I feel bikes hit a plateau. For road bikes they limit you to 15# and you must have a double diamond frame to race. That made companies not attempt to make lighter components and frames. Directional carbon fiber was basically perfected in that era so you can have. Plush ride and have or still be stuff side to side. Suspension geometry on mtb's hasn't gotten any better. Suspension lockouts were also just as good then as they are now. Disk brakes were also just as good then as now. They tried adding mores gears but all that did is make it so you have to have a more narrow finicky chain. There is no new materials that make anything lighter or stronger.
Again, I said maybe road bikes haven't changed much. I am not exactly sure what mavic has changed with their hubs, but I do know that when I was researching a wheelset this winter that there was mention of changes due to reliability.

As for mountain bikes, the difference in frame design, handling, suspension, and basically everything has made LEAPS and BOUNDS in just the last 3-4 years, let alone the last 10.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06249 seconds with 20 queries