Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Converting a mechanical fuel pump to an electric
View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #1
jeepers48

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Post Converting a mechanical fuel pump to an electric

I recently swapped out my (0riginal) 8/10 gallon tank on my 55 Willys pickup and replaced it with a 21 gallon tank from a 1994 YJ w/ the oem electric fuel pump. At first start up, ran great so i went up to the gas station and threw another 15 gallons in the tank. tried to start up the willys (has a AMC 401 under the hood)which was now harder to start, kept flooding out/to much gas. Got it running but kept stalling out about a half dozen times.

Popped the hood and pulled the air filter, reeked with gas and looks like gas pushed thru my carb gaskets too?....... Im leaving the air cleaner off tonite so it dries out in and around the carb(670 truck avenger)
I realize i f***ed up. The motor is a 1977 amc401, had the mechanical pump on it.
Can i keep the 21 gallon tank w/fuel pump in? I do have a return line going back to the tank(and hooked up) Also, the gas filter im using is for a 1977(might be restricting gas on the return line?)
Buying a "fuel regulator, which one would work best for my application??? (brand, model,part no.) thx in advance.
jeepers48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05387 seconds with 20 queries