Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - LQ4J: A 6.0 TJ DD on a budget
View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Dannn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default LQ4J: A 6.0 TJ DD on a budget

So I've been into this whole Jeep thing for about 6 years now. I've had 3 XJ's, and 2 TJ's, this one being the latest. Lets just say that I've learned a lot over the past few years and have come to a point where I just want a cheap do it all daily that I can hop in, and drive 5 hours without worry.

I've always been a huge fan of GM products, even though I've never owned one. The original idea was to swap in a 5.3 drivetrain when I had my previous TJ, but frame rot got the best of it.

The Jeep:
1998 TJ SE 4cyl auto
Its purple...
did I mention its purple?
bought it blown up for a decent price. After fighting with frame rot on my last TJ I was sure to check this one over real good.

The plan:
6.0 LQ4 V8 from a 2001 Yukon Denali
4l65E Trans
NP231c/j (later a 241c)
Ford 8.8 Rear LSD
3.73 gears (highway rpms are important, same with towing)
1.25" BL (just for clearance)
2.5" Suspension lift
33's
drive the damn thing everywhere.

So here she is pulling the motor and replacing it with a temporary 2.5 I had laying around

Got that motor out, and the new one in over the course of a few hours. Drove it home and realized that the 4.0 I had in my last TJ on 35's had wayyy more balls than this worthless anemic drivetrain. Not to say that a 4.0 has a ton of power, they're gutless pigs to me too. However I found myself wanting more, like always.

Speaking of my last TJ, this is a pic right before It...

That was a year long project in which i'll get into in a few.
Dannn is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06588 seconds with 20 queries