Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Repair shop advice
View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:28 AM   #17
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbalkint99 View Post
Ok, sorry...part of why I took it somewhere is due to extreme lack of time between school and work.

Nothing was signed...I filled out a form with my name and address along with a discription of the problem.

Special Ed::: I knew taking it in was going to be costly, no issue there. My issue is it taking a week and a half to get a diagnosis. The one mechanic even admitted they have worked on it for all of 5 hours "in between other jobs." Cost wise it was a "hey, is this price normal? due to my lack of experience.

Right now I am leaning towards just having them put in an engine, seeing as how I dont want to put the money into the head just to have the bottom give me issues in the near future.

Is $2300 for a 4.0 out of a '99 with 60k miles a fair price? Should I ask for some $$$ off for them taking so long resulting in me needing to rent a car for the last week?
Is that expensive to have done in a shop, no. Compared to a do it your self at home mechanic getting deals on parts and not paying labor or shop mark up on parts, yes it is expensive.

Most used 4.0Ls that a shop is gonna buy is coming from a salvage yard that most likely will give from a 30 day-1 yr warranty. Not find a deal on CL or a forum and buying out of somebodies pole barn. These motors are typically $1000 w/around 120k (just searched car-part.com in my area to get average price). Add mark up so the shop can make a buck which is typically x1.5. Then add in labor at $60-80 hr x what looks to be 8-9hrs as well as cost of misc such as plugs, fluids, etc etc...

$2300 is not a "bad" price to have a motor replaced by a shop. Esc. if they aren't adding in their time already spent on it.

Last edited by CheapThrillB2; May 3rd, 2013 at 06:52 AM.
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07162 seconds with 20 queries