View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #13
Monkeyevil
I <3 Miatas

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Monkeyevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Range was a big problem. Sure, maybe with new technology they could have gotten it up to 300 miles but that only tells part of the story. The other part is how long does it take to recharge. My jeep struggles to go 300 miles on a tank, but it's not a problem because I just stop at a gas station in 10 minutes it's all filled up and ready to go another 300 miles. Most electric batterys take much longer to charge.
I guess it depends on the person. I commute 8 miles a day. I can't afford to have 3 vehicles, I like having a tow rig, and I drive more than 100 miles a day at least once a month. So I have to do it in a 3/4 ton truck, BUT that doesn't mean there aren't others that don't drive more than 100 miles a day EVER.

With the second gen batteries the EV1 took 22 hours from full empty to full charge on 110 power, and 7-8 hours on 220. So it would work fine for people that don't commute more than 100 miles a day, and don't take long car trips. Which I would guess is a lot more of the population than we think.

I think a big problem is that people want freedom. It's the reason there are so many 4wd SUV's on the road... They have never USED 4wd, but they like to know it's there.

Yes that would have sucked for CA with the power grid problem.

Last edited by Monkeyevil; December 7th, 2006 at 11:04 PM.
Monkeyevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04871 seconds with 11 queries