Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Bicycle riders, your thoughts?
View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #43
jeepinRRT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
From a utility standpoint what can your Tri Bike do that your road bike can't? What can your cx bike do that your tri bike can't? What can your hardtail 26" bike do that your rigid 29'er cant? or that your full suspension 650b bike can't do? of that your etc etc etc bike can't do?

Fat bikes are simply another novel option given to you by the bike industry so they can sell more bikes.

But a lot of people enjoy them. They're superior in sand and snow, they can handle hardpack and gravel roads nearly as well as most normal mountain bikes can. They don't need suspension components which can wear and cost money and require more maintenance because the big squishy soft tires make for a comfy ride all on their own....I won't be plunking down big cash to own one any time soon, but they are a hoot to ride and they have their place.

To each their own, they're here to stay thats for sure.

Go out on an actual ride with one, then you can call it a gimmick and a waste.
Fair enough, but I'm not going to ride a tri bike on a group ride either. It's a bike for a specific purpose that very few people actually use it for that purpose.

Lets face it, many have them because they're "in" or "cool". That's ok, whatever, but the reality is cranking down dry pavement for 50 miles on a fat bike is like taking your new tri bike on a family night ride.

I reserve the right to change my opinion on this later but for now, unless you use it for that purpose its a bit gimmicky and a lot of hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeepinRRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.09097 seconds with 20 queries