Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Drain plug stripped at Spartan Toyota Dealership. Seek advice
View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #1
Denton
Brush Yo Teeth!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default Drain plug stripped at Spartan Toyota Dealership. Seek advice

Mom has gone to this dealership since 1999. She bought a brand new Avalon from them in 1999. She had all the service done there, oil changes every 3k and so on. She bought a 2003 Honda Accord brand new but had it serviced at Spartan Toyota, as she liked the service department better. They have been the only ones to ever change the oil on this car ever. I noticed the car leaking a bit of oil the other day and crawl under there to realize the drain plug is finger tight and just spins. She takes the car to Spartan and they say the oil pan threads are worn out and they need to drill out the pan to replace with a new plug at a cost of $200, but will only charge her $125 because she has been going there for so long. Spartan says its common for these threads to wear out and that her car is old. I told my mom to go ahead and pay it, since they think there reputation is worth $125.

I have only heard about drain plugs stripping out because of excessive torque and cross threading. Am I wrong for thinking the dealer should have fixed this at no cost since they were the only ones to ever touch the drain plug since new?

Last edited by Denton; April 13th, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
Denton is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05452 seconds with 20 queries