Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - rant about Cummins owners at work
View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #53
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by feva4u View Post
I pulled my TJ with 1700lbs of steel stock split between the trailer and bed of my truck on a steel decked car hauler from GR to Petoskey with my 187K+ mile 2005 GMC 1500 5.3L. I wasn't the fastest thing out there but I was able to do 65 mph highway with no difficulty. I got 9.7mpg on the trip which surprised the hell out of me. I see no need for a diesel for what I use my truck for. I used to think I needed a 6.0, turns out the 5.3 is fine. Big trucks are dumb.
Yep the newer trucks will handle way more than most people give them credit for. When I was downsizing from my diesel I went back and forth in my head a dozen times between 1/2 and 3/4 ton. I wanted the 3/4 ton for the stronger trans and heavier duty suspension and axles, but I didn't NEED it. I found the right deal so ended up with 3/4 ton, but a 1/2 ton would still handle the vast majority of what I need a truck for. I'm sure the same goes for 75% of the people with diesels too.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.43628 seconds with 20 queries